Sunday, June 8, 2008

Book Report: The Android's Dream, by John Scalzi

I picked up this book because I've come across Scalzi's name a number of times. I've checked out his blog and been intrigued enough to wonder what his work was like.

The first thing that struck me about this book was the title, from the Philip K. Dick story, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" That told me that I was in for something a little unusual, and I always like that. When I read the first bit, in which two people die and an interstellar war almost breaks out entirely because of a nefarious use of intestinal gas, I was hooked. This book is remarkable. The plot twists are absurd, the pace is furious and yet the characters and the story itself never cease to be believable. It is funny. It is packed with action. It is easy to follow, and yet complex.

I had difficulty putting it down, and when I finally finished it, I wished for more.
I don't think there is any praise higher for a book.

No comments: