Sunday, January 11, 2009

Book Report: The Sculptress, by Minette Walters

This one's a mystery. I don't read much mystery (or much fiction outside the speculative genres), but Penelope enjoys that sort of thing and has lately been on a Walters kick. Since I don't read much mystery, and certainly no contemporary ones, I don't know how representative Walters's work is.

Having said all that, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I'm used to mysteries in which plot is all and characters are just active props. In this one, however, it's all about characters and yet strong plot is not sacrificed. The protagonist is convinced to write a book about a notoriously psychotic murderer, and the things that happen around her result directly from her actions even though she (and the reader) may not be aware of the connection until later in the book. The conclusion is satisfying, with an extra little twist at the end that casts some doubt on all that has occurred.

I have not become a mystery convert, but this... this was great.

Ulysses Rating: 4 - I loved this.

No comments: