Sunday, March 21, 2010

Book Report: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

It is what it says on the cover.

It's been some time since I read the original Pride and Prejudice, so my recollection of the book is a little hazy. However, I remember finding it slow going at first and then I remember warming up to the story about half-way through and being satisfied with the read overall by the time I finished the book.

What we have here is the original Pride and Prejudice enlivened by the presence of Oriental martial arts and a plague of the undead. Is it good? Well... I guess. If you're looking for an illumination of the human condition in the depths of horror, or revelations about the meaning of life when death is no end to existence, then you're going to have to look very far afield from this book. If you're looking for a comedy farce of manners and mores set in a Regency England beset by the undead, well... again, you might want to look elsewhere although not quite so far afield. If, however, you're looking for Pride and Prejudice that a self-respecting geek wouldn't mind being seen reading, well... this is the book for you.

It's essentially one joke carried on at length for many pages. It's entertaining enough and I laughed a couple of times because I appreciate absurd comedy, but there's nothing new here. I think I went into it expecting something more than just Pride and Prejudice and zombies, which was foolish. I hoped for an original spark, something that would make the work wholly its own, and I didn't get it. I got exactly what was advertised.

Of course, that's the point.

Ulysses Rating: 3 - I enjoyed this.

No comments: